Read-workbook Pg. 31
Spelling- ABC Order
Social Studies- Test tomorrow.
Social Studies Review
(The test will be on “Landforms”)
Test is on Wed.May 30th, 2018
* The test will include true/false statements, fill in the blanks, label the picture and multiple choice.
*Study the facts on landforms.
*The highest mountain range in the world is the Himalayas. Some mountains
are found under the sea and could be taller than the Mount Everest, which is the highest mountain peak in the world.
Types of Mountains
- Fold mountains
- Block mountains
- Melting snow from the snow capped mountains fills the rivers and they are
a source of water.
- They make beautiful tourist destinations.
- Narrow valleys are called canyons.
- The continent of Australia is an island.
- There are two types of deserts –
- Hot Deserts
-As the name suggests, hot deserts are vast areas of land that are covered
with sand and dust.
-These areas receive little or no rainfall and are very dry.
-The animals found in the hot deserts are camels, snakes, lizards and rats
-Thar Desert in India is a hot desert.
- Cold Deserts.
-The cold deserts are large areas of land covered with snow. These deserts
receive little or no rainfall.
-They receive snowfall during the winters.
-Animals such as penguins, whales and fur seals survive in the cold deserts.
-The Antarctica is the world’s biggest cold desert.
-Life in these cold deserts is impossible.
-There are some rocky deserts like the Gobi desert in Asia.
* Camels are called the ship of the desert as they carry people and their loads
from one place to another.
Memorize the following vocabulary words (You may also use you Landform Dictionaries)
- archipelago– a large groups of chain islands.
- beach– an area of sand or pebbles along the shore.
- canyon– a deep valley with steep sides, often with a stream
running through it.
- cave– an opening in the earth, typically in a hill or mountain.
- glacier– a large mass of ice, formed from falling snow, and
descending slowly down a mountain.
- grassland– land with grass growing on it, such as a pasture or
7.hills– a mound of earth smaller than a mountain.
8.island–an area of land completely surrounded by water.
9.lake– a larger body of water surrounded by land.
- mountains– a large mound of earth, usually larger than
- plateau– an area of raised land with a level surface.
- pond– a small body of water, sometimes man-made.
- river– a large stream of water flowing in a certain course.
- valley– a long area of land between two mountains.
- volcano– a mountain with a crater at the top through which lava
or ash can flow through.
- waterfall- a steep flow of water from a great height.
*Also please memorize the following landforms as you may have to draw them on your exam.
Hills, mountains, river, valley, volcano, plateau, lake, ocean
Creative Wr.-Complete story page.
Spelling Words for the Week of May 28, 2018
- disingenuous 11. inflate
- haughty 12. children
- ate 13. fruits
- fate 14. summertime
- gate 15. singing
- hate 16. playing
- mate 17. air conditioner
- Nate 18. ice water
- state 19. sweaty
- imitate 20. shorts